Home is...? Home is...?



(Used photos from my iPhone)

Home is? Home is what exactly? What makes a place a home? Is it the actual structure of a building? Is it the feeling you get when you walk into a place you can call your own? Is it a city? Is it the people you love? This has been itching at me lately, what home is; what home is to me. 

My husband and I chatted and I've realized I've been feeling unsettled and down because this home doesn't feel like home. This doesn't feel like a place I can call home when I know I'll be leaving. I went to IKEA, finally bought a kitchen table and I felt amazing, felt a little more cozy, but it still didn't feel like home and I soon realized because home to me isn't a place, but a feeling + the people I'm there with. 

I will be headed to IKEA more to make this place seem more like home to US, but home is whenever these two are. Home is being able to see their faces everyday and enjoy a space, even if temporary to live and create precious memories. That, is what home is to me. 

What is home to you? How do you make a place feel like home?


5 comments:

  1. I love IKEA! Only wish we had one remotely close to us. Whenever we move I never feel like it's home until I have put my mark on it. Whether that means hanging paintings or pictures of my family. It needs to reflect our style and lots of throws. I love putting throws everywhere. but you're right, at the end of the day it's where your family is

    ReplyDelete
  2. I struggle with this too. After ten years abroad, I'm back in the States but living at my mother's for a few months. Technically I guess it's 'home', but it doesn't feel like it. I long to nest! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what we mean! When we moved into our current rental I hesitated for a while painting, hanging everything, and investing in furniture for the place since we'd just be moving again at some point. I finally decided we're here now and might as well settle down and enjoy it with the family even if it is just temporary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Home is in your head. That is what I firmly believe after moving abroad. You can feel home everywhere, it is all in your mind. I love your blog! Amazing layout and so many lovely details. I will stay for a while and read more about your life in my home country.
    xoxo
    www.monkimau.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love yours as well! I will begin following you on your adventures! It seems extremely fun.

      Delete